Rejuvelac is a non-alcoholic fermented liquid made from sprouted grains. Because it is fermented, Rejuvelac contains beneficial bacteria and active enzymes, and thus it is reported to improve digestion of food. Rejuvelac can be drunk as a digestive aid or used as a starter culture for other fermented foods such as raw nut and seed yoghurts, cheeses, sauces and breads.
- 1/5 cup non sprouted grains (I use quinoa and millet for the fastest results)
- Place grains in a large jar or plastic container. Cover with water and top with a cloth and elastic band.
- Soak the grain in jar or plastic container covered with water until little sprout tails appear.
- Rinse and place in a large jar.
- Add 4 cups water and let sit on the counter for 2-3 days. You will notice that the water will get cloudy and little bubbles will start forming. Taste...it should taste clean and fresh with a hint of lemon. If you leave it longer it will develop a stronger taste closer to vintage or 'blue' cheeses but you don't want it to develop any mould!
- Drain the rejuvelac off of the wheat berries and store in covered glass container in the refrigerator