I was wanting to make a side dish the other night and i thought of the green bean dish I had enjoyed in many Turkish restaurants back in Australia. It’s a good dish in that you use either fresh, tinned or frozen veggies (or a combination) and it can be enjoyed hot or cold. I think it would work lovely as a side dish at a barbecue or picnic served cold.
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 onions
- 3 cups green beans (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 zucchini
- 4 large tomatoes (or 1 can of tinned crushed tomatoes).
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Warm a glug of your olive oil in a fry pan.
- Dice garlic,onions, zucchini, tomatoes and top and tail beans if you’re using fresh beans.
- Cook onions and garlic until soft.
- Add the rest of the vegetable and fry for 1 minute.
- Add salt and sugar and stir.
- Top with water until the vegetables are covered and place a lid on the pan.
- Cook on a low heat for about an hour until the water has evaporated and you have a sticky, tomatey bean mix.