Before you think ‘oh yawn, another boring tomato soup’, I’d really encourage you to give this recipe a try. I developed it as part of my upcoming recipe ebook but I really wanted to share it with you as it’s so insanely delicious. I have a confession to make, the photo above is not the one that will be in the book, I had a shoot planned for the soup, only to realise that I’d eaten almost all of it, it was so incredibly tasty! Don’t skimp on the black pepper and (non-dairy) butter, it really makes a tomato soup into something special!
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 2 red capsicum
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy butter
- Halve tomatoes and halve and deseed capsicums.
- Lightly sprinkle with oil and place in a hot oven (about 180c) for 10 minutes until they have coloured and the tomatoes are soft.
- Dry roast the spices until fragrant in a large saucepan.
- Add tablespoon oil and stir well.
- Dice the garlic and add to the pan.
- Remove the tomatoes and capsicum from the oven and dice.
- Add to the saucepan with 4 cups water, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Allow to boil until the mixture has reduced by half.
- Blend with a stick blender (or leave in chunks if you prefer)
- Add 2 tablespoons butter, stir through and serve.