I recently went foraging in a park in Prenzlauer berg when we pickled some lovely dandeliions and nettles. I decided to make a dandelion syrup with the dandelion heads. It has a lovely amber colour and can be used in place of honey, or as a tonic when you have a sore throat.
- 4 cups dandelion flowers
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups sugar (add more to taste)
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- Cut off yellow part of flowers. Place in a saucepan with 4 cups water.
- Bring just to a boil, turn off heat, then cover and let sit overnight.
- The next day, strain and press liquid out of spent flowers.
- Add sugar and lemon to the liquid and heat slowly, stirring now and again.
- Simmer on a low heat for up to one hour until reduced to a thick, honey-like syrup.
- Store in sterilised jars.