Nutella and other types of chocolate spread are very popular here in Germany. Spread over fresh bread or toast, its a rich, sweet delight that is liable to leave someone in a food coma, especially if the chocolate spread is eaten directly from a jar, not that I would do anything like that, ahem… You can buy vegan versions (as most chocolate spreads contain milk powder) but it’s actually really easy to make your own if you can get nuts affordably, I’ve even made it before with sunflower seeds with good results.
I had some wonton wrappers leftover from making soup so I decided to make some sweet wontons for dessert. These are quick and easy to make, providing you have ready made chocolate spread and custard on hand for filling. I don’t do a lot of frying for my recipes but I don’t have an oven at the moment or I probably would have baked these after brushing them with some oil. I made both chocolate and custard wontons. You could of course, just make one or the other, both are delicious!
- 1 packet of wonton wrappers
- ‘Nutella’ (see below)
- Custard ( I used this custard recipe from my portuguese custard tarts)
- Oil for frying
- Place wonton wrapper on table (a plastic surface or a board is easiest for folding)
- Place a teaspoon of custard or ‘Nutella’ in the centre of each wonton. You want to fill half your wontons with ‘Nutella‘ and half your wontons with custard.
- Wet edges of wrapper and fold and seal the edge together, crimping lightly as you seal.
- Heat oil to medium high heat
- Add wontons, making sure not the crowd the pan.
- Fry on one side, then turn and fry until cooked.
- Drain well on absorbent paper
- Allow to cool and dust with icing sugar
- Soak hazelnuts overnight in water to make blending easier
- Add to a blender with all the ingredients and blender until thick and creamy. Add a little oat milk if needed.
- Store in a jar in the fridge, if it lasts that long!