<a href="https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GT_m49uuMfI/VLUJGQPV7DI/AAAAAAAAKcQ/0DzZdw8ckdQ/s1600/8417852649_fe95a9b042_k.jpg"><img class="alignnone" src="https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GT_m49uuMfI/VLUJGQPV7DI/AAAAAAAAKcQ/0DzZdw8ckdQ/s1600/8417852649_fe95a9b042_k.jpg" alt="" width="400" height="313" border="0" /></a> I made this cake with the intent of using up some rather sad looking fruit but not wanting to make a crumble or struesel.This is a tasty cake that goes wonderful with ice cream, soy whipped cream or custard. Or even on it’s own with a cup of tea!
Mixed fruit to cover:
- Three oranges (peeled and sliced into bite sized pieces)-next time I would just use one orange I think
- Two plums
- Three nectarines
- 2 Tb sugar, powdered
- 1 tsp squeeze orange juice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 Tb water
- 1 Tb vegan margarine or butter
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 180c/365 celcius
- Grease a spring form cake tin with butter or oil.
- Place fruit in the pan decoratively
- Make caramel but dissolving sugar in boiling water. Once dissolved add the butter and stir well, taking care to not burn yourself.
- Slice fruit into small wedges. Place in a bowl and mix in the sugar, squeezed orange juice and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Allow mix to combine and slightly darken to a yellow with a froth. I imagine the caramel would be quite dark if you used brown raw sugar.
- Carefully poor caramel into cake tin ontop of the fruit.
- In a bowl mix together flour, salt and vanilla essence. Add milk and squeeze of orange and stir gently taking care not to overmix the mixture.
- Pour the batter over the apple layer, making sure to first fill the gaps between the slices.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake layer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife along the sides for easy removal.
- Place a large serving plate on top and carefully invert the cake onto the plate.
- Allow to cool before serving.