I realised I had some soy milk in the fridge that was about to go off. I don’t like soy milk to drink but I like to cook with it. So I decided to make some caramel. Depending on thickness and how long you cook it, this recipe can make either a caramel sauce or more like a caramel custard or Dulce de leche. I wanted to use it as a pie filling so I opted for the latter. I want to make a tart using some tinned pears (as the fresh ones aren’t quite ripe yet). But I realised I didn’t have a pie dish or tins! I didn’t want to use a cake tin as the square shapes were quite unwieldy and I didn’t have quite enough filling for a galette. So I used an oven proof ceramic bowl. It doesn’t look the prettiest as a result, but the taste is divine! I used a sweet shortcrust pastry but a biscuit base or even puff pastry would work really well.
To make salted caramel:
- 1 litre soy milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste, you can always add less and build up if you wish)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Combine ingredients in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Whisk well and cook on a high heat for 5 minutes. You want the mixture to bubble but not overflow or burn so you need to watch it carefully.
- Turn the heat down by half and cook for 2 hours or until the mixture has reduced by at least half and thickened.
To make pastry:
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C) cold non dairy spread, diced
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
- Sieve flour, sugar and salt to a bowl.
- Rub in spread untl the mixture resembled large crumbs.
- Slowly add the cold water until the dough just comes together into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for a minimum of one hour before use.
- After refrigeration, roll out pastry and place in pie tin or small pie cases.
- Pin prick the bottom/s and place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
To assemble pie:
- Warm caramel in a saucepan or microwave until pourable but not boiling.
- Pour into pie case.
- Arrange tinned or fresh pears on top
- Brush pie edges and top with soy milk
- Place in a 180c oven for 40mins or until pastry is cooked.
- Allow to cool and remove from pie case.