My husband is English and one of the treats he really misses in Australia are flapjacks. A slice, typically combining rolled oats, butter and golden syrup, it’s sticky and sweet and it’s healthy appearance belies the calorie content! I decided to bake some with some additions and replaced golden syrup with agave as I’d run out. Apologies for less than brilliant pics, really gloomy here today!
- 200g brown sugar ( I used a combination of raw and white sugar as I’d run out of brown)
- 200g rolled oats
- 200g Nuttlex
- 1 cup flour
- handful walnuts
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons pepita and sunflower seeds
- 6 dried digs, diced
- 150ml agave syrup
1. Put the butter, sugar and agave in a saucepan and heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
2. Add the oats, flour, figs, nuts and seeds and mix well.
4. Smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden around the edges, but still slightly soft in the middle.
Mine ended up slightly burnt but more due to my dodgy oven than anything else. Really tasty, the nuts caramelise and the taste is reminiscent of toffee popcorn!